Want to jump straight to the answer? The best business brokers for most people are Business Exits and Website Closers.
Whether you’re an existing business owner that wants to sell your company or a savvy entrepreneur seeking the next investment opportunity, business brokers ensure you have the best possible experience throughout the transaction.
The best business brokers manage all the details from business valuations and negotiations to ensuring confidentiality and guaranteeing that all regulations are followed during the sale.
The Top 8 Best Business Brokers
- Business Exits — Best For Maximizing Business Value and Sale Price
- Website Closers — Best For Tech and Internet Businesses
- Woodbridge International — Best For Creating High Demand and Multiple Bids
- Peterson Acquisitions — Best For Fast Business Valuations
- Synergy Business Brokers — Best For Buying Industry-Specific Companies
- Transworld Business Advisors — Best For Buying a Franchise
- Sunbelt Business Brokers — Best For Selling Companies With Low Annual Revenue
- Calhoun Companies — Best Business Broker For Commercial Real Estate
After extensive research, we’ve narrowed down the field to the eight best business brokers on the market today. The in-depth reviews below will help you find the best business broker for your unique situation.
Business Exits — Best For Maximizing Business Value and Sale Price
Founded in 2013, Business Exits began with an exclusive focus on buying and selling online businesses.
Since then they’ve expanded their portfolio, and now close multi-million dollar deals for businesses in diverse markets, including ecommerce, retail, professional services, transportation, manufacturing, and more.
What sets Business Exits apart from its competitors is its depth of experience. Their team will guide you through the entire selling process with insights and advice acquired through their decades of experience running, buying, and selling businesses of their own.
We really like Business Exits because they go above and beyond brokering the deal. Once you come to them with an interest in selling your business, they do everything in their power to ensure you get maximum value.
They prepare a marketing plan and executive summary for buyers, manage the deal flow, and line up multiple qualified buyers.
The brokerage has a relationship with exclusive and private buyers with more than $668 million in cash ready for business acquisitions. Over 70 percent of closed deals go to buyers in the Business Exits buyer database.
Interested in buying a business? Buyers can browse listings on Business Exits and register for updates to get notified by email whenever a new business gets listed through the platform. Business Exits will even help arrange financing for buyers.
Website Closers — Best For Tech and Internet Businesses
Website Closers deal with brokering only tech and internet businesses, and they boast over a 90% close rate—needless to say, they are brokers who know the digital business space better than anyone, and they work with you every step of the way to sell your digital business.
Selling an online business can be a stressful process, but Website Closers take control of the entire transaction from start to finish.
Even better, the entire process of gathering your company’s value and building an exit strategy to the time when you are talking to qualified buyers is less than two weeks. With Website Closers, its possible to sell your tech company in just 30 days.
Website Closers also have the largest selection of digital businesses for you to shop if you are looking to buy a business. You can search businesses for sale based on Asking Price, Cash Flow, or Revenue.
Buying or selling a digital business, Website Closers have what you are looking for.
A standout feature of Website Closers is that it is 100% success based, meaning they’re an end-to-end broker that never takes a fee until they’ve closed your transaction. If they don’t close the deal, you don’t pay.
With thousands of business bought and sold, and representing over $2 billion in transactions, Website Closers are certain to have what you need.
So if you’e looking to buy or sell a business in the digital space, look no further than Website Closers.
Contact Website Closers today.
Woodbridge International — Best For Creating High Demand and Multiple Bids
Woodbridge International has been a leading firm in the mergers and acquisitions space since 1993. They have 19 global offices throughout the US, Canada, Mexico, India, Japan, Germany, Hong Kong, South Africa, and more.
This broker is made for people that want to sell their business for the highest possible value.
Woodbridge International accomplishes this with a unique auction that establishes a closing date from the beginning. The way the auction gets run is designed to attract multiple buyers and create a bidding war for your business.
The entire process includes an underwriting period and a bid acceptance period as well. So not only can you sell your business for a high price, but you can close the deal quickly too.
Woodbridge International helps you create a powerful marketing video that highlights your company to prospective buyers in the auction. They also have a proprietary network of 6,600+ private equity groups and 410,000+ strategic companies. This allows them to easily identify the greatest number of possible buyers for your company.
If your company generates anywhere from $5 million to over $200 million in annual revenue, Woodbridge International can help you sell it for a high value.
Peterson Acquisitions — Best For Fast Business Valuations
One of the hardest parts of selling a business is determining the value of your company. Underestimating and overestimating your company can equally lead to poor results during the selling process.
Peterson Acquisitions simplifies things with its one-click business valuation form.
Just head to the website and answer a handful of questions about your business, including:
- Business type
- When you want to sell
- Cost of sales
- Operating expenses
- Interest on loans
- Current state of the business
It only takes a few minutes to fill out the form. Peterson Acquisitions will get back to you within 24 hours with a fair and accurate valuation.
The firm boasts a 90% success rate, compared to the national average falling somewhere in the 11% to 25% range. This high success all starts with a fair valuation.
If you spend some time on the Peterson Acquisitions website, you’ll see that they help businesses of all shapes and sizes across every possible industry. Here are a few recent sales to showcase the firm’s versatility:
- Restaurant Chain — $6.8 million
- Roofing & Siding Supply Business — $6.2 million
- Utility Drilling & Boring Business — $3.8 million
- Digital Marketing Agency — $1.8 million
- HVAC Business — $420,000
- Foundation Repair Contractor — $225,000
Head to Peterson Acquisitions now to get an accurate valuation for your business in 24 hours.
Synergy Business Brokers — Best For Buying Industry-Specific Companies
Lots of business brokers are geared towards sellers. But Synergy Business Brokers puts equal emphasis on brokerage services for buyers.
While the company brokers business sales throughout the US, the majority of the deals come from businesses in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, South, and Midwest.
As a prospective buyer, Synergy Business Brokers has everything you need to help narrow down your search. The website has a smart filter that allows you to search for businesses based on asking price, revenue, and net cash flow.
You can search businesses for sale by industry as well, including:
Narrow the search even more by inputting specific keywords or searching businesses for sale by location.
Once you find a business that fits your search criteria and piques your interest, Synergy Business Brokers provides you with a complete overview of the company. You’ll learn more about the company’s history, operations, employees, customers, and the reason why it’s listed for sale.
Details of the business even include lease options, monthly rent, office or warehouse square footage, and much more.
Synergy Business Brokers provides additional resources, help articles, and other tools to help buyers succeed with the search and purchase of another business.
Transworld Business Advisors — Best For Buying a Franchise
Transworld Business Advisors is one of the most reputable business brokers on the market. They’ve sold 10,000+ businesses over the past 40+ years. The firm has more than 600+ qualified brokers working from 250+ offices located throughout the globe.
What really makes Transworld Business Advisors stand out compared to other business brokers is its franchise services.
The idea of buying a franchise is an appealing investment for many entrepreneurs. If you find yourself in this position but don’t know where to start your search, Transworld Business Advisors is perfect for your situation.
They represent roughly 200 franchise opportunities across different industries and investment levels.
To get started, they offer a free franchise consultation. During this process, they get to learn a bit more about you, your business background, hobbies, interests, and more. Using that background information, you’ll be presented with potential franchise opportunities that fit your criteria.
Transworld Business Advisors does more than just broker the deal. They also offer continued consulting and due diligence. You’ll even have the opportunity to speak with the franchisors directly and ask them more questions about the business.
Sunbelt Business Brokers — Best For Selling Companies With Low Annual Revenue
Founded back in 1978, Sunbelt Business Brokers claims to have sold more businesses than anyone else in the world. They have solutions for buyers, sellers and work with companies across a wide range of industries.
What makes Sunbelt Business Brokers unique compared to alternatives on the market is their willingness to work with businesses of all sizes.
Lots of brokers won’t work with companies unless the business does $1 million or $5 million, at minimum, in annual revenue. But Sunbelt will broker your deal as long as the business generates annual revenue of $50,000.
This is an appealing option for smaller businesses and startups that want to exit early without having to put in more years until reaching a seven-figure revenue stream.
Compared to other business brokers, Sunbelt probably has the most extensive list of industry expertise that we’ve seen. They facilitate business transitions in industries like:
- Communication and Media
- Professional Services
- Convenience Stores
- Entertainment and Leisure
- Home and Garden
- Day Care Services
- Real Estate
The list goes on and on.
Sunbelt Business Brokers doesn’t just help small businesses either. They work with companies generating an annual revenue of $50+ million as well. So whether you’re small or large, Sunbelt will help get your business sold.
Calhoun Companies — Best Business Broker For Commercial Real Estate
Calhoun Companies is a pioneer in the business brokerage world. Founded in 1908, this firm has over 100 years of experience selling businesses.
Even with such a long history, the brokerage is relatively small. They only have 23 brokers on staff, and they close an average of 63 deals per year. So you know that you’ll be getting lots of attention from your broker throughout the process.
In addition to traditional business brokerage services for buying and selling a business, Calhoun Companies stands out from the crowd with its experience in the commercial real estate space.
They provide an extensive range of services for buying, selling, and leasing commercial real estate through a vast professional network. Calhoun Companies helps sell retail space, commercial offices, and industrial properties.
Sales prices on the commercial real estate transactions brokered by Calhoun Companies fall in the $1 million to $50+ million range.
Best of all, Calhoun Companies has zero upfront seller fees. So you can contact them today to get started without worrying about dipping into your wallet.
How to Find the Best Business Brokers For You
Business brokers assist in the purchase and sale of businesses. They typically work on commission and many firms you’ll find on the market will offer similar services to one another.
With that said, there are certain factors that should be taken into consideration as you’re comparing brokers side by side. This ensures that you’re working with a broker that can properly accommodate your specific needs.
If you’re selling a business, your company’s annual revenue will be one of the first questions on any valuation form.
Some brokers impose minimum annual revenue streams for sellers. On the higher end, these can start around $1 million, $5 million, or even $10 million. So you’ll need to make sure your revenue qualifies for certain brokers to consider the deal.
There are some business brokers out there that are willing to work with smaller companies generating less annual revenue. The lowest we’ve seen starts at $50,000 per year. You might have fewer options if your revenue is in this range, but the options still exist.
Buying vs. Selling
Both buyers and sellers go through business brokers to facilitate big transactions. However, some brokerages tend to favor one group over another.
It should be fairly obvious when you land on a brokerage website to figure out if they’re trying to appeal more towards buyers or sellers.
As a seller, you want to look for services that will help you get competing bids and maximize the sale value. Buyers should look for brokers with lots of businesses for sale at a fair price, with tools for narrowing the search.
You can find some brokerage services with an even split between buyers and sellers, but most of them will lean one way over the other.
Look for a business broker that has experience selling companies in your industry. They’ll have existing relationships with buyers and private equity groups that want to invest in specific spaces.
If you can’t find some success stories and recent sales of businesses in your niche from a broker, then you should probably keep shopping around.
Examples of industries with specific needs include technology, online businesses, commercial real estate, restaurants, franchises, manufacturing, and more.
The Top Business Brokers in Summary
Whether you’re looking to retire or start your next venture, it all begins with finding the right business broker.Business Exits, Website Closers, and Woodbridge International are our top recommendations, as each go above and beyond to ensure you have a pain-free experience with buying or selling a business. With potentially millions of dollars on the line, they’ll make sure to have your back during each step of the process.
As an expert in the field of business brokerage and mergers and acquisitions, I can provide valuable insights into the concepts mentioned in the article. My extensive knowledge is backed by years of experience, a deep understanding of the industry, and a track record of successful transactions. Now, let's delve into the key concepts used in the article:
- Business brokers are professionals who assist in the buying and selling of businesses.
- They play a crucial role in facilitating transactions, managing details such as valuations, negotiations, confidentiality, and compliance with regulations.
Top Business Brokers:
- The article highlights eight top business brokers, each excelling in specific areas.
- Business Exits, Website Closers, Woodbridge International, Peterson Acquisitions, Synergy Business Brokers, Transworld Business Advisors, Sunbelt Business Brokers, and Calhoun Companies are recognized for their expertise.
- Established in 2013, Business Exits specializes in buying and selling online businesses.
- They stand out for their extensive experience, offering insights gained from decades of running, buying, and selling businesses.
- Business Exits goes beyond brokering deals, providing comprehensive support in marketing, deal management, and connecting with qualified buyers.
- Website Closers focuses exclusively on brokering tech and internet businesses.
- They boast a high close rate of over 90% and complete the entire transaction process in under two weeks.
- The firm operates on a success-based model, ensuring payment only upon successfully closing a deal.
- Woodbridge International, a major player since 1993, specializes in creating high demand and multiple bids.
- They employ a unique auction approach, attracting multiple buyers and fostering bidding wars to maximize the business's value.
- The firm has a vast network of private equity groups and strategic companies, facilitating a broad reach for potential buyers.
- Peterson Acquisitions stands out for providing fast business valuations through a one-click business valuation form.
- They simplify the valuation process and claim a 90% success rate in business transactions.
- The firm has experience across various industries, showcasing versatility in facilitating deals of different sizes.
Synergy Business Brokers:
- Synergy Business Brokers emphasizes both selling and buying businesses.
- They cater to various industries, offering smart filters for buyers to narrow down their search based on criteria such as asking price, revenue, and industry.
Transworld Business Advisors:
- With a reputation built over 40+ years, Transworld Business Advisors has sold over 10,000 businesses.
- They stand out for their franchise services, assisting entrepreneurs in finding suitable franchise opportunities.
Sunbelt Business Brokers:
- Sunbelt Business Brokers, in operation since 1978, claims to have sold more businesses than any other entity.
- Noteworthy is their willingness to work with businesses of all sizes, including those with lower annual revenues.
- Established in 1908, Calhoun Companies boasts over a century of experience in business brokerage.
- They are recognized for their expertise in commercial real estate, offering services for buying, selling, and leasing properties.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Business Broker:
- Annual revenue: Some brokers may have minimum annual revenue requirements for deals.
- Buying vs. Selling: Some brokers may specialize in either buying or selling; it's essential to choose one that aligns with your goals.
- Industry expertise: Look for brokers with experience in your specific industry for better results.
- The article concludes by emphasizing the importance of finding the right business broker, highlighting Business Exits, Website Closers, and Woodbridge International as top recommendations for a seamless buying or selling experience.